Do you live, breathe, and sleep coding? Do you get excited whenever you see a website developed from scratch? Do you want a career you can do from anywhere?
If this is you, you may have been born to be a web developer. Good news–you’re not alone. The internet is full of training programs for seasoned and aspiring developers like yourself.
Here are 15 free to low cost online training programs for web developers:
This program focuses on helping developers find their path, build a portfolio, and learn with others. They teach via tutorials, videos, blog posts, and specialized courses. You will have the option to build projects as you go through the course, and work with team members.
The Odin Project courses include:
- Introduction to Web Development
- Web Development 101
- Ruby Programming
- Ruby on Rails
- HTML5 and CSS3
- Getting Hired as a Web Developer
Register here: www.theodinproject.com
This program offers free and paid training programs full of learning materials, quizzes, and projects to test your development skills.
The Codecademy courses include:
- HTML Fundamentals
- HTML Content
- CSS Fundamentals
- Syling with CSS
- Organizing HTML & CSS
- The CSS Box Model
- CSS Positioning
- HTML Tables
Register here: www.codecademy.com
This program is esteemed all over the web for providing high-quality training in various subjects including web development. It’s always free to participate in, and offers easy-to-learn lesson plans.
The Khan Academy courses include:
- Intro to JS: Drawing & Animation
- Intro to HTML/CSS: Making Webpages
- Intro to SQL: Querying and Managing Data
- Advanced JS: Games & Visualizations
- Advanced JS: Natural Simulations
- HTML/JS: Making Webpages Interactive
- HTML/JS: Making Webpages Interactive with jQuery
Register here: www.khanacademy.org
This program is a great option for more experienced web developers. There are tons of great lessons in web development, as well as a useful support forum for questions.
The MDN courses include:
- HTML — Structuring the Web
- CSS — Styling the Web
- Accessibility — Make the Web Usable by Everyone
- Tools and Testing
- Server-Side Website Programming
Register here: developer.mozilla.org
Alison focuses on helping students get up to speed as fast as possible on web development while providing useful and supplemental tools to assist their studies along the way.
The Alison web development courses include:
- 21 Days to Building a Website
- How to Create Your First Website
- Web Page Development
- Building an Online Business
- Web Page Design Using HTML5 and CSS3
- Web Development – Advanced CSS3 Selectors and HTML5 Elements
Register here: www.alison.com
The Google Developer Training courses include:
- Intro to Progressive Web Apps
- Offline Web Applications
- Web Accessibility
- Responsive Web Design
- Responsive Images
- Browser Rendering Optimization
- Website Performance Optimization
- Client-Server Communications
- High Conversion Web Forms
- Web Tooling and Automation
- Mobile Web Development
- HTML5 Game Development
Register here: developers.google.com
This program is full of tutorials on fundamental web development building blocks including how to build an e-commerce site and how to create a website using web apps.
The Lynda courses include:
- Angular 2 Testing and Debugging
- WordPress Plugins: Analytics
- Building an App with React.js and MeteorJS
- Installing Apache, MySQL, and PHP
- AngularJS 1: Building a Data-Driven App
- Building Web Applications with Ajax
- Learning Redux
- Ruby on Rails: Get more From ActiveRecord
Cost: Free 10-Day Trial (Normally $19.99-$29.99/month)
Register here: www.lynda.com
This program is great for web developers of all experience levels looking to refine their skills and see what’s new in the industry.
The WP Sessions courses include:
- The Modern Developer’s Toolkit
- Demystifying the Database
- Mastering WordPress Troubleshooting
- Embracing Code Reviews
- Creating Personalized Website Experiences
- WordPress Coding Standards
- Security for Developers
- Design for Developers
- Professional Workflows and Best Practices
Cost: $149 for 74 hours of training content
Register here: www.wpsessions.com
This program is one of many learning courses offered at Coursera. This one specializes in mobile and web development to help people code seamlessly.
The Coursera courses include:
- Full Stack Web Development
- Web Design for Everybody (Basics of Web Development and Coding)
- Ruby on Rails Web Development
- Introduction to HTML5
- Responsive Website Development and Design
- iOS Development for Creative Entrepreneurs
- iOS App Development with Swift
Register here: www.coursera.org
This program focuses on helping developers leverage the latest Microsoft technologies to create web applications.
The Microsoft Virtual Academy courses include:
- ASP.NET Core 1.0 Cross-Platform
- Intermediate ASP.NET Core 1.0
- Mastering Node.js, Part 7: Building Desktop Apps with Node.js and Electron
- Mastering Node.js, Part 6: Node.js Express Web Applications
- Mastering Node.js, Part 5: Node.js Express REST Services
Register here: mva.microsoft.com
This program helps developers learn the fundamentals of creating a phenomenal website.
The OSTraining courses include:
- Introduction to Drupal 8
- Getting Started with WordPress
- Introduction to Joomla
Cost: Free trial (normally $25-$49/month for all courses)
Register here: www.ostraining.com
This program is focused on helping developers design web pages that are memorable to their target audience.
The CBT Nuggets courses include:
- Photoshop for Developers
Cost: Free trial (normally $84/month)
Register here: www.cbtnuggets.com
This program is to help self starters become the best and most marketable versions of themselves.
The Bento courses include:
- Web Fundamentals
- Front End
- Front End Continued
- Back End
Register here: www.bento.io
This program is for intermediate developers who are interested in building a blog in their business. There are several interactive quizzes and self-paced learning opportunities to challenge developers to work hard at meeting their goals.
The free Udacity course includes:
- Web Development: How to Build a Blog
Cost: FREE for first lesson
Register here: www.udacity.com
This program focuses on helping you “reinvent your career in 14 weeks.” They offer an intensive, comprehensive software development program to help developers exceed their career goals. According to the site, their programs are good for both beginner and seasoned developers. You must apply to participate in one of their programs, but you’re sure to find a suitable one as they have 8 locations across the United States.
The Coding Dojo courses include:
- Intro to Code Workshop
- iOS Swift
- Ruby on Rails
- C# / .Net Core*
Register here: www.codingdojo.com
Did we miss any training programs in the list? Share in the comments below what training program you’re chomping at the bit to participate in!